Taxis exempt under FBT but Uber / Ola are not!!
Any benefit arising from taxi travel by an employee is exempt from fringe benefits tax (FBT) if the travel is a single trip beginning or ending at the employee’s place of work.
Any benefit arising from taxi travel by an employee is also an exempt benefit if the travel is both:
- a result of sickness of, or injury to, the employee
- the whole or a part of the journey directly between any of the following:
- the employee’s place of work
- the employee’s place of residence
- any other place that it is necessary, or appropriate, for the employee to go as a result of the sickness or injury.
However, the exemption is limited to travel in a vehicle licensed by the relevant state or territory to operate as a taxi. It does not extend to ride-sourcing services provided in a vehicle that is not licensed to operate as a taxi.
If you require any further information, please contact one of our tax accountants on 1300 QUINNS (1300 784 667) or on +61 2 9223 9166 to arrange an appointment or teleconference. Alternatively, please click here to submit an online enquiry form.