In March 2014, there was a major amendment and update to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). The original legislation was enacted in 1988 with the aim of protecting personal information. However, the original Act never foresaw the internet era in which individuals are sharing their personal information and becoming more at risk with over-sharing.
- Health service providers
- Organisations trading personal information
- Organisations related to a larger body corporate (which is not a small business)
- Contractors providing services under a Commonwealth contract
- Reporting entities for the purposes of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006
- Operators of residential tenancy databases