Tried and True Management Tips
You often hear that people are natural born leaders, but don’t hear about how much help they had along the way. It can be hard to manage staff, so here are some tips to help you out.
- Lead by Example. Even though your role is different from your employees, behave as you would want them to behave. This will encourage them and make them feel more valued.
- Have a business plan and make this plan known to your team. Outline short and long term visions for the department and company, and set time lines and bench marks to help achieve these goals.
- Set ground rules and expectations for your employees. Make it clear to them what you want them to do and how to do it. This is where it is good to have a ‘hit list’ which is reviewed each week. Having a hit list means that everyone knows their specific tasks and the timeline for action.
- Learn from mistakes made by yourself and others then put procedures in place to make sure these issues don’t occur again.
- Be a human being, care about your team. One of the best things you can do is create a team who all care about each other and love working together. This will prevent any personality conflicts and it will also make your team more productive.
- Make sure everyone’s voice is heard, and be fair. You can learn a lot by listening, and will be able to reach the best decision if everyone’s opinion is heard.
- Energise your team. Make sure you focus on positive feedback or publicity. Recognise hard work and reward your team when they do well with unexpected treats like a free lunch or a few hours off. This will keep your team fresh and will motivate them to continue the good work.
By following these tips, you are sure to be a great manager who is respected by all staff. If you need any legal or accounting advice for your business, give Quinns Lawyers and Accountants a call on 1300 784 667 or submit an online enquiry.